Sunday, June 14, 2015

New Adventures, New Hope

I'm moving to Colorado Springs in two and a half weeks. I'm pretty much packed. It's easy to pack when you don't own anything.

This week is crammed full of saying goodbye to friends who've become family to me over the past 4.5 years. I hate goodbyes, even temporary ones. My typical approach to goodbyes is to say I need to use the restroom and then go climb out a window.

This move shouldn't surprise anyone. I rarely stay in one place for long. I'm always either traveling, moving, or thinking about traveling or moving. I met a woman in Honduras last year who's never left the 7x3 mile Island she lives on, except a few times to see a doctor on the mainland. Born there, raised there, content to stay there till the day she dies. Part of me envies people with those kind of roots, part of me fears that life.

People keep asking if I'm moving because of the new laws in Colorado. Nope. I've got a great guy who sells to me here in Texas. (That's a joke, by the way. I don't do drugs, except seasonal allergy medication.)

At the end of last year I paid off all my debts. When I moved to Texas I told myself I wouldn't even entertain the idea of moving again until I finished paying everything off. As my final payments drew near I started to dream and plan my next adventure. Should I expatriate to a foreign country? (I still may do that eventually. We'll see in 2016.) Should I stay in Texas? Should I move to a city and give stand up one more try? Should I throw some clothes in a backpack and try to circumnavigate the globe on foot? (I could do it. I'm from hearty German-Irish stock.)

"You should move to Colorado Springs," my youngest sister said over Christmas break last year when I told her all my crazy ideas. (She'll be in her final year at the Air Force Academy, which is one of the reasons I wanted to move sooner rather than later--to have some extra time with her.)

As soon as she said it, I knew that was my next and, Lord willing, final move. In college I worked at a camp in Colorado Springs during the summers and fell in love with the mountains. I'd tried to move to there on several occasions, but for one reason or another it never worked out.

I decided if I ever moved to Colorado it would be with the intention of staying. So that's gonna be what I attempt: Face my fear of driving in the snow and put down roots in Colorado Springs. Work with the intention of staying, not as a means to get to somewhere else. (Except maybe an island in the Caribbean during the winter.)

What will I do in Colorado Springs? Basically the same things I've been doing, sans stand up. I've decided to give it up for Lent permanently. While I think God's given me a decent sense of humor, He didn't give me the sharpness and mental grit necessary for a stand up career, and the last few years it's felt more like an emotionally abusive relationship. It's a great hobby. I'll still do it here and there for fun, but show business isn't for me. God's given me some new dreams and passions--especially in the areas of teaching and youth ministry--and I'm excited to see what's in store.

So in a couple weeks I'll do my final stand up shows on a cruise ship in the Caribbean with some great comics I never imagined I'd work with, and then I'll step off the ship as someone who used to do stand up, pack up my couple suitcases of belongings, fold up my industrial-grade air mattress (which is apparently a thing) and foray on to my next adventure in Colorado Springs.

In the meantime, I'm working on a follow up book to my first advice book for teen girls (it'll come out some time next year--stay tuned!), I have a handful of speaking gigs in the fall for various youth events, and I have a couple interviews to teach music part time. I'll also work on building a client base for private piano, voice, and accordion lessons in Colorado Springs, write a novel, and perhaps fulfill the dream that's been in the back corner of my mind of working at a coffee shop in the mountains.**

Someday when I have a house in the mountains (Actually it will be at the foot of them--because I will avoid driving up a mountain in the snow at all costs. At. All. Costs.) you're all welcome to come visit. In fact, I insist on it. I'll take you hiking up the incline. Google it. You'll sweat just looking at pictures.

And you can go ahead and start placing bets now on how quickly into winter I'll get my car stuck in a snow drift.

Here's to new dreams and new ventures.

Are you working on anything that's making you excited? What's new on the horizon for you?

**If you're looking for a youth speaker or a piano, voice, or accordion teacher in Colorado Springs, visit my website! www.kristinweberonline.com

2 comments:

Marti Pieper said...

I can identify with falling in love with Colorado, Kristin. I've taught at a conference in Estes Park for the past three years and am in awe every time I step off the plane.

I am sad about your not pursuing standup but I understand your decision, too. You have many gifts, and I will pray for God's clear direction as you keep acknowledging him in all your ways.

But you forgot the most important question: Does CS have Chipotle?

Kristin said...

Yes, Marti! There's a Chipotle 3 minutes from where I'll be living. :) AND the original Chipotle is in Denver! I'll be at home!

Thank you for your encouragement. I'm excited to see what's in store. I wish there were time in a day for everything, but alas, I must choose how to spend my hours.

I hope you and your family are doing well! And let me know when your writing conference is! I need to attend some as I work on my novel. =)